What is the governing body?
The Governing Body is a group of unpaid volunteers from various parts of the community. They are required by law to help the school provide the best possible education for its pupils.
They play a critical role in setting the strategic priorities for the school, and to ensure that the school is effectively run by the Headteacher.
Who currently belongs to the governing body?
The Governing Body currently consists of:
- 1 parent elected by other parents in the school
- 1 person selected from persons nominated by the Local Authority
- 1 member of staff elected by staff
- The Headteacher
- 7 persons known as Co-opted Governors who are persons in the opinion of the Governing Body have the skills required to contribute to the effective governance and success of the school. They could be parent/carers, members of staff or people from the community.
- 3 Associate Members (non voting)
Please click on the name to find out more information.
Please click on the link to view the documents.
Functions of the Governing Body
The three core functions of the Governing Body are to:
1. Ensure clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
2. Hold the Head to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils and the performance management of staff
3. Oversee the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent
These functions are mainly delegated to committees of which there are two as follows:
1. Finance (including Safety and Human Resources) Committee
2. School Improvement Committee
Meetings of the Governing Body and the Committees take place at least once per term.
Do you want to be a school governor?
In Waltham Forest there are 1150 jobs for governors in 82 schools.
No formal qualifications are required but you must be at least 18 years old and there is no upper age limit. The time commitment works out to an average of 6 hours a month.
For further information on becoming a school governor please visit School Governors section of the Waltham Forest Council’s website.
How do I contact the governing body?
Please write to the Chair of Governors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Minutes of the Governing Body meeting can be made available on request by emailing the Chair of Governors at email@example.com.